Monday 5 June 2017

Georgetown- Home of the street art!

I arrived in georgetown a lot later than I anticipated due to the bus from Melaka to Penang breaking down for several hours. But the boat ride across to Georgetown was lovely. I arrived at my hostel which turned out to be the noisest hostel I had ever stayed in. Firstly it was across the road from a night club and was full of a group of chinese students who occupied most of the hostel and wouldn't shut up! Then on top of this there was building works directly below me from 8am til 6pm every day. Constant drilling, and to top it all off the internet didn't work in my room. But the staff were nice.

I started of in Georgetown by walking about to see what was going on. There was a temple close by
















followed by a massive church and loads of european looking buildings. 

















i then went to water village where a whole chinese community lives on water on stilted wooden houses.
















I saw lots of different temples




















and of course street art. These were all over the walls in Georgetown.




























































I then found a nice cafe to spend my evening in browsing the internet as there wasn't any at my hostel.

The next day I went to Kek loc Si. A massive temple on the outskirts of Georgetown. It was really impressive.































There was also a giant Buddha.


































I then walked to Penang Hill. I had to get a funicular up to the top to see the views of Penang.































After coming back from my day trip I agreed to meet up with a girl from Germany (Jenny) who had been travelling for over a year. She was also with an Indian girl called Somdutta. They were both lovely and we had dinner together and watched some live music. Somdutta was only there for the day so I agreed to meet up with Jenny the next day after my trip to the smallest national park in the world.

I set off for the smallest national park in the world called Taman Negara Palau the next day. The bus journey was lovely and air conditioned and I saw all the beaches in Penang. The bus took an hour and when i got there it was beautiful. I started my walk towards monkey beach in the national park. The first 15 minutes were easy and was loured into a false sense of security as the next 1.5 hours were really tough. An actual hike as some of my friends would say to me! The path was non existent in places and there were trees fallen over the path, which I had to climb. It was very hilly too, not great in high humidity and 35 degrees celsius. Eventually I arrived at monkey beach and was rewarded with beautiful beach views.





I then had to make my way back which again took almost 2 hours. However, I saw monkeys and big lizards and birds along the way and chatted to some other hikers while walking.

It was worth it and gave me a sense of achievement as not many people hike the national park or even know of its existence.

I then met up with Jenny and we went to this place that had over 50 types of cakes and watched some live music. I then had to pack for my next journey- Langkawi!

I liked georgetown. It had lots of lovely cafes and a nice village feel. I just wasn't very impressed with my hostel.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. finaly i find out how to comment.
    your blogs are great and photos fab keep them comming

    ReplyDelete