Friday 26 May 2017

Melaka- You're just too noisy!

I left Kuala Lumpur on an air conditioned bus and made my way to Melaka in the south. I was told by a friend that it was worth a visit so decided I would give it a couple of days. I arrived in the bus terminal only to wonder around for 45 minutes looking for the bus to town as the information desk was "out too lunch". Eventually a local woman took pity on me and showed me the way. I sat beside her on the bus and she told me she was a cleaner for the holiday homes at the beaches and her daughters are all in Australia and Germany. She helped me get of the bus and find my hotel. I liked my hotel room as it was quite big but it was next to a car park which was so noisy and there were monkeys in a cage which was a shame.

I only really had a day and a half by this point so I dumped my stuff and went exploring. I discovered Melaka is not a big place. I wondered down the streets which looked quite European, stopping off for something to eat, to the river which Melaka is famous for.



There was also a little square with a church, art gallery and a windmill. It all looked very dutch as the dutch invaded Melaka a few hundred years ago. The town was full of Chinese tourists as it was their public holiday and these bikes to transport people places, which had loads of characters like pikachou, mickey mouse etc on them and played extremely loud cheesy music. 
















On top of that every bar, shop and restaurant played their really loud music too. Therefore the whole place was very noisy. There were also no backpackers.

The place was pretty so I decided to take a boat tour down the river. Off course this tour played the Malaysian radio really loudly for the duration so I couldn't win. However, I did see some amazing street art and some really lovely looking cafes by the water front.




After my tour I headed to the A'Famossa fort



and saint Johns cathedral. These were old ruins from the Dutch period.





I then found a lovely quiet restaurant at the waterfront. It was most likely quiet due to the expense (western prices) but the food was good and it was very posh. I then walked back to my hotel through Jonker street which is the main street for the street market.





This was massive and very busy. It sold mostly tat and street food. After browsing the stalls I went back to my hotel room to try and sleep amongst the noise.

Day two, and I realised I had done the main things the day before so this was more walking around and eating in nice cafes. Which I suppose I needed after being so busy for the last three weeks.

I had a look at the Stradthuys





The oldest church in Malaysia.


I also came across some temples.




I then ate in some more air-conditioned cafes as it was so hot and came across a Malaysian couple on their honeymoon who chatted to me for a while and again seemed fascinated with me, a woman, travelling by themselves. I then passed through Jonker street again before returning to my hotel, where a car alarm had gone off and no one could find the owner so I had to listen too it until 1am.

Therefore I think Melaka is too noisy for a peaceful town. I had high expectations of relaxing peacefully by the river, but I was wrong. I did like it as it was pretty but if you are used to Europe then its not really that different and you could see the whole town and still have time to spare in a day. However, I am glad I visited it.






2 comments:

  1. Dude I don't know what was going on but melaka is usually super chill and quiet! Except for the hello kitty bike things, they're always noisy lol. Did you go to the Baba Nonya museum? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying these blog pieces so much Jenna, I have only read a few of them and they are just great :) it's like I'm there with you!

    ReplyDelete