Wednesday 17 January 2018

Brisbane- A bit like Glasgow!

I landed in Brisbane and caught the train into the city to a suburb called Hillend...yes it was really hilly! I walked up a hill for ages looking for my Air B&B until finally I found my queenslander home. It was built on stilts and made entirely of wood. The first thing I noticed, was that it was advertised as a spanish school...Not what was advertised in Air B&B! I went in, to find the living room had been converted into a spanish school room with a load of people learning spanish from the owner. She was really nice and showed me to my room. All I could hear was spanish, so I went out to find food and explore. Well it looked a lot like Glasgow to me for some reason. It seemed quite studenty and had  large wide roads with massive buildings. I didn't really like it. It didn't wow me! I found dinner and went back, thankfully she stops teaching spanish at 9pm at night. I had a nice chat with my host who was originally from South America and can't travel much so likes having different nationalities around. She was an older lady and had a boyfriend who was German and like 30 years younger then her. I thought it was her son when I first met them 😅 well good on her! She did also have a nephew staying too.

The next day I went to explore Brisbane and see if I could actually like this city.
















I wondered first to Southside and came across a man-made beach. It was being renovated but some of it was open.















The river was pretty.
















I then went to the modern art gallery which was free and wondered the centre looking at the shops.

















In the evening I went back to Southside.





























Then I headed back and chatted to my host on her veranda.

The next day I decided to check out the gold coast. I had to take a 40 minute train to Broadbeach. This was very like a touristy beach town with mainly holiday homes and skyscrapers, but I did see a bat!
















The beach was pretty cool and was silhouetted with skyscrapers.

















I walked all the way to Surfers Paradise. I did quite like this beach and as it was winter wasn't crowded. Then the sun set and it was time to go home.

The next day I spent it with my friend Ana, who I met in Nepal. I met up with her and we had some food in the city and she drove me to Kangaroo Point and hanged out in her apartment. There wasn't much else to do in Brisbane but it was nice seeing her again and she showed me a bit more of the city.

Overall I didn't find much to do in Brisbane, maybe it was because it was winter and most people come in summer and I also didn't have a car to explore a bit further, but it didn't really excite me as a city. It just looked like any other city! The Gold Coast was nice as I am not used to skyscraper backdrops (like in Miami) but now that I have been in Australia, a beach is just a beach. I do know a lot of people who went to live there and found it to be a nice place to live, which I think could be true but not the most exciting destination to go on holiday unless you love the beach every day!

1 comment: