Tuesday 29 August 2017

Kota Kinabalu- "Not a lot"

I landed in Kota Kinabalu in Borneo's Sabah region in the morning and after checking into my hostel (which was awful) I asked the receptionist what there was to do in Kota Kinabalu, "Not a lot" was her reply. It turned out she was right.

I went for a walk and nothing was open. I found the post office, which was miraculously open and posted some post cards. I then walked along the riverfront which was pretty but it started to rain and also none of the cafes were open.

















There were loads of malls in the city but again nothing was open. Most likely due to Ramadan.

I then walked past a clock tower:




















I then found the only cafe open in a hotel and sat there for two hours eating cake and drinking fresh orange juice really really slowly so I could take advantage of the free Wi-Fi as my hostel didn't seem to have any. Finally things started to open.

I walked for a while and came across a large shopping mall called Times Square. It had a cinema in it and then i realised how cheap the cinema was (£3 for ticket and popcorn) so I watched wonder Woman to pass the time.

I then walked back to my hostel past the waterfront to find that my hostel was above a bar. Not just any bar but a karaoke bar and it went on til after 1am! I also had to put up with one of the receptionists singing at the top of his voice for two hours!

Eventually it was the next morning and I decided to go to the islands which are only 15 minutes away by boat. I decided on Sapi Island.

It was a beautiful day of sunbathing and swimming and seeing fish close to the reef.






























It was also the only time I got burnt!

Afterwards I went to the cinema again and watched pirates of the caribbean as there was nothing much to do.

Kota Kinabalu is a good destination if you want to see the islands and the wildlife but it really isn't worth much time in itself. I found it to be just a typical small city with nothing much in the way of culture but lots of malls, I was a little disappointed in the cities of Borneo but I suppose its all about the wildlife and that's where borneo is amazing! If I were to do this trip again I would skip the cities and just go straight into the countryside and go wildlife spotting!

No comments:

Post a Comment