Monday 21 August 2017

Kuching- Cat City

I arrived in Kuching in Borneo also known as cat city due to the large number of cats that roam around. I checked into my hostel which was really basic and had no wi-fi due to the weather and there wasn't many people around apart from a chinese family who were really noisy! 

I tried to connect to the wi-fi but no luck so went out to see if I could find a cafe. The only ones I could find were like food court type cafes but I eventually found a decent one. There was a lot of people round during the evening but I discovered during the day it was very quiet as I was there in Ramadan. 

My first stop was a small temple at the end of the street.
















I then wandered through the deserted streets and came across cat statues:

















and wall art:

















and a nice river:






























And...nothing else. Yep nothing else, the place was pretty boring. But I wasn't there for the town I was there for the wildlife and the next day was awesome!!

I went to Bako national park to see proboscis monkeys. I had to get up really early and catch a bus to the park. I met an English couple from Birmingham on board and we chatted for ages. There was also a man on the bus that we found really funny. He was from the UK as well and went on about how amazing he was in the jungle and how he does all these treks etc and even had the cowboy hat on too. He was so annoying. 

We eventually arrived at the boats which take you to the park. You can only get to bako by boat and the ride was amazing. We even saw river dolphins. 
















We landed on the island and had immediately saw some monkeys and a bearded pig:
















we hiked through the rainforest looking for proboscis monkeys and eventually saw them in the trees:
















We then finished on a beautiful little beach and had lunch:
















We then decided to try out some more of the walks and saw monkeys and odd looking crabs:

















We also came across another beach:
















The rainforest was amazing with loads of different trails and wildlife about. On the way back to the boat we saw more proboscis monkeys:































Proboscis monkeys are really endangered and you can only see them in Borneo so it was amazing to see them in the wild. 

We then made out way back to kuching by boat and bus and i said goodbye to my new friends and I went back to the cafe I found to use the Wi-Fi and have dinner. 

The next day I went to spot Orangutans! I went to the bus stop early again and met a guy from Switzerland on board. So we went to see Orangutans together. We were dropped of at the rainforest to go see them and hiked up to the main entrance of the Semenggoh wildlife sanctuary. Its basically a part of the rainforest that is looked after by the sanctuary where they let wild orangutans roam about without fear of being killed as they are also highly endangered and can only be found in Borneo too. Luckily for us we found some feeding:


















We then saw a mum and her baby swinging through the trees:

















We then had to go back to the bus and back to Kuching. The next day i had to get a taxi at 3am in the morning and the hostel said there would definitely be one there as they booked it but it never showed!  I then had to wander round looking for a hotel open at that time to order me one. Very stressful but I got there in time to fly to Kota Kinabalu. 

In my opinion Kuching is boring and is really not worth visiting but the surrounding wildlife was amazing. Definitely worth a visit for the wildlife as that was one of the highlights of my entire trip!

2 comments:

  1. The orangutans look amazing! Glad you had a nice time seeing the wildlife. Shame about the taxi!

    ReplyDelete