Sunday 6 August 2017

Singapore- Wheres your soul?

I landed in Singapore and met up with the Indian couple from Vietnam who gave me tickets to see the zoo for free!!! I noticed everything was very clean and orderly. It was a bit unusual from the rest of Asia.

I arrived at the arab quarter in my lovely 4 star accommodation again (yes I treated myself again) and went for a wander to meet a girl I chatted to through couchsurfer. We decided on raffles hotel, to order a singapore sling.
















you are given bags of free peanuts in the raffle bar and chuck the remains on the floor so the floor is covered in peanuts. It was a beautiful building and the inside was really nice.

We had a great time chatting and drinking our very expensive cocktail and then walked back through the city which was full of skyscrapers and restaurants to my hotel.

The next day I started off on my journey through singapore seeing lots of religious buildings:

















and odd looking hotels:
















I started off looking at the art Gallery which I enjoyed:
















Before continuing on my way to meet up with another couchsurfer:

















I arrived in chinatown looking for my new couchsurfer friend called Elliot. I couldn't find him so ended up spending the next 5 minutes shouting "Elliot" at passing westerners too see who would respond. Thankfully on my trip down the escalator I received a response and spent the next 5 minutes both running up and down the escalators trying to catch each other. This was a taster of the rest of my crazy day with Elliot!

We started out in Chinatown where he told me that he was from England but spent the year in Australia. We saw temples:




















and ate street food and saw street art:
















Elliot loves to talk to random people and we spent a good part of our day chatting to different people.

He also likes to lie!

We decided we wanted to go to the marina sands bay hotel pool area for free. So Elliot concocted an elaborate plan to get us in. This involved him pretending he was part of the robotics convention being held there (he managed to get a hold of one of their badges) and we would just lie about staying at the hotel and try and get up that way.

So we went to the hotel:
















And he tried to talk us up BUT... It didn't work 😁 Naturally.

So we went to garden's by the bay instead.





























It was nice but a bit odd as its supposed to replace a garden, but it just lacked the outdoors feel.
At this point Elliot and I agreed, this did not feel like Asia.

I got hungry so we went to find food and ended up in Gordon Ramsay's restaurant. I had fish and chips and Elliot had hot lemon water (cause he was determined not to pay for anything, and succeeded eating my free bread and my free cookies for dessert)

Then we headed to the star war themed gardens by the bay light show which was awesome! A light show depicting the entire star wars movie- and it worked!

















It then started to rain so we called it a night. It was a really fun, crazy day!

Next day was zoo time! I was really excited!!! I met a girl and her mum on the bus and we chatted about Singapore and how she had been to Britain-to Wales! who just goes to Wales? Well she had and wanted to talk about her welsh experience for a really long time.

We then arrived at the zoo:
















The zoo was amazing and one of the best zoos I had been too. There were loads of animals and they weren't caged in so it was more natural then a normal zoo. I'm now just going to show pictures of animals:









































There were loads of animals. It took all day to see them! Then in the evening was the night safari. Which is a zoo for nocturnal animals.


















There were shows and safari tours and lots to see but unfortunately is really difficult to get pictures of animals at night so you will have to just take my word for it.

In my last day of Singapore I started of at the botanical gardens which were huge.































Then walked along Orchard road window shopping.
















I ended up in Little India:

















Before heading back to my hotel. I then had a wander round arab quarter before leaving to catch my flight to Borneo.

I did really like Singapore especially the zoo. There's lots to do but it is very expensive to do anything but a nice little stop over. However, it isn't anything like Asia and as it felt too clean and clinical it lacked a little soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment